Mk3 DEP exhaust fitment

jim157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Mk3 DEP exhaust fitment

Post by jim157 » 08 May 2015, 19:18

Hi all, I've just bought a new DEP expansion chamber to replace the rusty, rotten DEP on my mk3. Unfortunately it seems considerably different to the existing pipe fitted to my bike.

Firstly, it has a flange on the exhaust port end unlike the older pipe which is flush:-

Secondly the tailpipe end has a flange which the tailpipe slides into rather than over. The exhaust in general also seems to be slightly different in general shape compared to the older one and doesn't seem to line up properly.

The seller insisted it is a mk3 specific pipe; so my question is, is this the wrong exhaust for the mk3 or will I have to substantially modify it for it to fit? I think if I was to cut the flange off at the port end it might line up better but I didn't want to butcher it without checking with you chaps first.

Cheers.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: Mk3 DEP exhaust fitment

Post by fallenmikethebike » 08 May 2015, 20:10

Doesn't look like my MK3 pipe.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

pudzie83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: mk2 1992

Post by pudzie83 » 08 May 2015, 20:12

is that a crm pipe the outlet looks very short, neither my fmf or dep looks like that
VIVA LA CRM!

jim157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by jim157 » 08 May 2015, 21:03

'Apparently' it is a mk3 pipe, the seller said he cross referenced with the DEP code.

Here's some more pics, with one to compare it with my existing DEP:-

Do any DEP's have that flange at the exhaust end or are they all flush?

xstian81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk3 CRM

Post by xstian81 » 10 May 2015, 10:41

I fitted a FMF a few weeks back on my MK3. That had a similar flange to your new Dep. I've just check the old pipe I removed, which is a genuine Honda pipe, that also has this flange, but it doesn't protrude quite as far into the barrel. When I fitted the FMF, it seemed a better fit (tighter and a better seal) to the original. I found you have to be a little more careful when aligning this up when tightening the pipe to the barrel.

As for the other end, the FMF and the original pipe where the same as your original dep. Saying that your new dep pipe looks as if it would give a better seal. So if it fit I would say that's a good thing.

Do the other 2 mounting lugs line up? I found with mine they took a little adjusting and I also had to make up a 5mm spacer on the front mounting lug, but it looked like it should of had a spacer originally, so it may have been lost by a pervious owner. Have you tried fitting it to the bike yet?

Lukep749
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Lukep749 » 10 May 2015, 19:44

When I bought a DEP pipe from LT, they explain one pipe fits all, CRM,s, what they did was chop about 1/2" off the end of the tail pipe to make it fit a MK 3

The one you have looks like the ones I have had.(did you get it off EBay ?)

When fitting the pipe first set up loose then tighten all the bolts up from the head working back to the tail pipe, if the tail pipe is too long then measure and cut back with a hacksaw, de burr with a file.

jim157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by jim157 » 10 May 2015, 20:37

Thanks for your input, yep I got it from ebay last week.

No, the mounts don't really line up, they almost do but the pipe fowls the top of the oil pump cover. The tailpipe section is also a lot shorter than my original DEP (probably just under an inch or so), my DEP tailpipe fits into the flange but the tailpipe wont align with the boss on the frame.

I've also got an old pro circuit pipe, which I compared to both Deps. It's very similar in dimensions to my old DEP but has a removable protruding flange like your FMF Christian.

xstian81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk3 CRM

Post by xstian81 » 11 May 2015, 08:27

Looking at the 2nd photo it appears that the collar is fixed in a different position. I wonder if the new exhaust is for an AR.

Have a look in the FAQ section. It explains that the MK3 and AR exhausts are very similar but they are not interchangeable.

jim157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by jim157 » 11 May 2015, 10:23

Yes mate, you're correct. I just offered it up and the stud pattern suggests that it is an AR system.