my AR refused to start after the washing

jazzedup
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: AR 99
my AR refused to start after the washing

Post by jazzedup » 24 Jun 2015, 15:48

I bought my AR recently. I didn't wash it with high pressure stream before. I used just water and some rag. Yesterday i got really hard dirt on my bike and i decidede to use a high pressure Karcher system and some soap foam. The procedure was ended and i tried to start the bike in several minutes, but i didn't manage to do it.

I tried to start it with setting of choke lever up and down. Usually it starts without any problems. Then i changed the spark plug, then i switched the fuel valve to res, but it was in vain. I checked the spark putting the spark plug on the cylinder and kicking the starter and the spark seemed to be OK

Then i called my wife and she came by car. I used the rope and started towing. We passed about 300 or 400 meters, i switched the 3rd and the 4th gear, opened and closed throttle but i got nothing.

Then my wife started roughly and the bike fell on the right side. Then it started in several seconds and some water starder flowing from the left side, approximately from the vicinity of the carburettor. When i twisted the throttle about a half of a glass of water came out under the bike. After that it was working perfectly, i cut it of and it started after the first kick.

Now it works perfectly.

Maybe someone got the same problem? What should i do to prevent it? I'm going to some extreme expedition soon and the weather can be quite wet there and i'm a bit worried about that problem....

jazzedup
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Re: my AR refused to start after the washing

Post by jazzedup » 24 Jun 2015, 15:50

the air filter was dry and the petrol was coming to the carburettor

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 24 Jun 2015, 17:47

Aiming a 200mph jet of water at something mechanical will quickly test the limits of it's I.P. rating.
Use a little more sensitivity in prone areas, carb, plug cap, connector blocks, ignition switch, kill button, it sort of makes sense doesn't it. Stopping the bike on the choke prior to washing sometimes helps. Aiming the water from the lance with the pressure turned down, and at an oblique angle also helps.
I have run my MK3 in water up to the underside of the saddle.
See past post about breather and overflow hose routings.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 24 Jun 2015, 20:13

Mine wouldnt start once but it was because water got in the PGM due to the glue shrinking in the repair hole!
It is now well sealed and this is not your problem.
I have also ridden my AR through rivers and holes up to the seat no problem.

jazzedup
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by jazzedup » 24 Jun 2015, 20:41

Ok, thanks. I hope soem deep river and some rain won't stop me)) but i will test it before a hard trip =)