19mm GP rod kits

BrockBDK
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:
19mm GP rod kits

Post by BrockBDK » 09 Jul 2015, 16:20

Hey chaps,

Well it's been a while since the FAQ on rods / pistons was updated but sadly absent was the GP diameter on the rods.

I know there are 18 and 19mm GP rods for these - my guess is that the 19mm rods are earlier model.

Really would like to avoid going down the rod and piston conversion for this customer of ours as he's just forked out for a Wossner and his other CRM already has the TRX conversion.

Does anyone know if anyone still supplies a rod for the 19mm GP version?
If not do you know the rod dimensions perchance?

We usually find a way when we need to.

As an aside I noticed as I went through that FAQ page that it stated Forged pistons were the better option - that isn't entirely true. Yes Forged pistons are stronger in some senses and are therefore more resistant to damage such as pre-ignition but they allow a much higher silica content which is better for 2-strokes.

We always find that it's better to buy a cheaper cast piston and replace it more regularly at a fair price than try to squeeze extra wear out of an expensive forged piston. The main thing is to get good quality Japanese rings wherever you can - they are what does the work. Whenever we can we use Riken rings and we use cast pistons on all our race bikes by preference.

All the best,

Brock