sbc
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2
MK2 removing engine from frame - odd size washer

Post by sbc » 24 Jul 2015, 13:21

Hi guys,

My plucky MK2 seized - probably from being low geared and taking it up to 70mph.

I've decided to bite bullet and fix her! I'm trying to get the bikestripped down to remove the engine from the frame.

I have no experience of this so I'm following a guide I found on Google.

I've got to the point where there's a washer that looks like it's attached to something electrical that goes into the top of the engine. It's too small for an 11mm spanner and and a 12mm spanner is going to strip it - I've been there before and don't want to do that again! I've tried putting WD40 on it to try and gently move it with the 12mm but it's tight and I know I'm going to harm it.

Does anyone know what size spanner that washer is? Is it some kind of imperial spanner sizing? I work with computers by day so I'm learning about this domain of knowledge so go easy on my ignorance :) :BB I figured I could just buy the right sized spanner off eBay.

I have a picture of the part and the bike:

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: MK2 removing engine from frame - odd size washer

Post by fallenmikethebike » 24 Jul 2015, 13:53

Hi, that's the sensor for the temperature gauge. It should be a 12mm A/F size. However, they can feel a little sloppy.
A deep wall drive socket would probably do the job,but you'd then be working blind. On this very rare occasion I might suggest a small pair of small mole grips clamped with just enough force to bite onto the wall of the nut face might be the best option, and very gently apply an even increasing force. You can use a ring spanner if the wire is disconnected from the top, always a preferable option.
Or just disconnect the wire off the top and leave it in the head :?: :?: It doesn't need removing.
Others opinions?
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

sbc
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:

Post by sbc » 24 Jul 2015, 14:07

Ah thank you! You're spot on, the electrical part pulls off the top just like you said so removal is unnecessary!

Cheers!

Lukep749
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Lukep749 » 24 Jul 2015, 23:03

Be careful, the little brass looking plug is expensive new, you will have a shock if you have to buy one, very easy to knock it on re assemble or removal of the engine, if you can take it out, wrap it up and place in a sealed bag, hang up and don't loose it.

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 25 Jul 2015, 09:05

Don't take t out as per FMtB.

sbc
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:

Post by sbc » 25 Jul 2015, 09:31

Thanks guys. I will leave it in place unless it turns out its removal is vital to get it out of the frame.

Just trying to get the swingarm bolt out now. It moves fine but don't have any kind of drift punch long enough to push it out - will go an look in Halfords today.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3

Post by fallenmikethebike » 25 Jul 2015, 14:18

Something like an aluminium 1/2" bar would be good. Put the securing nut back on the wrong way round by about 6 threads, then, gently tap the nut to see if it's going to move, and pray to your particular brand of deity that it does, or a shitstorm of trouble awaits, see previous post on the issue.A copper hammer is the ideal tool, just remember those end threads on the shaft. You can point the end of a long steel bar, so as it fits inside the hollow section of the shaft, there's a lot less chance of the threads being damaged that way.Having someone to hold a club hammer on the opposite side of the frame helps as well,this then directs the shock load through the shaft, rather than dissipating the shock into the frame.
Have fun ;)
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

harveykrumpet
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by harveykrumpet » 25 Jul 2015, 23:27

I doff my cap in your general direction OP. Would love to get the motor out of mine and have the frame tidied and painted but being a complete numpty I know it will never get back in. Well done.

sbc
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:

Post by sbc » 26 Jul 2015, 11:52

Thanks for the advice guys! Managed to get the bolt out of the swingarm. Had to buy a long thick screwdriver from Halfords (£5!) and knocked it through. It came out really easily. When I put the bike back together I will be sure to grease it so it doesn't ever seize in place.

Just got to get it out of the frame now. Initially I thought I could get away with not removing the radiators but I can't see how they can be removed without them coming off. Will have that done this week and then will wiggle the motor out.

All the guides suggest the engine can only come out of the right side of the frame - fair enough. I guess I will need to remove the rear break lever.

I will post pictures next weekend of my progress and then look at getting the head off to see the extent of the seizure!

Spokey
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Spokey » 31 Jul 2015, 20:29

If the spindle is tight going back in , you may find that loosening the other engine retaining bolts helps

Cheers

sbc
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:

Post by sbc » 05 Aug 2015, 21:28

It's out! Taking it to my father's place in Kent on Saturday for damage assessment. If it's all fixable then he'll do the work for me.

andrew19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: 250 MK3

Post by andrew19 » 05 Aug 2015, 22:41

That's a very white quality towel its resting on!

Speeddevice
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk 2

Post by Speeddevice » 06 Aug 2015, 08:24

Soda blasting is a good way to clean the engine up without damaging seals or other delicate parts. You can even make your own.
If you do want to paint it after soda blasting make sure it gets a thorough clean to neutralize the bicarb soda.

I still like glass-bead blasting for the finish.