oilinsmoke
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: crm 250/2
crm engine

Post by oilinsmoke » 02 Sep 2015, 20:05

Hey every one finally got my hands on another crm :D
it was a scruffy old thing when i got it but a couple of hours with the pressure washer and a lot of traffic film remover turns out it's white ! ok so i take it for a few little rides low throttle etc checking out reliability etc everything seemed fine must admit i was surprised did get it cheap,once happy it does what it should with out any trauma i took it down a local lane am well happy now :lol: ,once i got it home i noticed oil pouring out of the gearbox breather !! there had to be something !
i've had several of these bikes in the past done a fair few engine repairs/builds but my memory isn't what it was what i wanted to ask is,do the main seals go in to the casings form inside or can they be changed with out splitting the engine halfs ?,i don't mind stripping it all the way but wanted to ride it this weekend if poss (won't have one off again for a while !!)
thanks for all your input in advance (any one in the notts area wants a ride out msg me once i have it fixed :D )
regards G

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: crm engine

Post by gregorious77 » 03 Sep 2015, 20:14

Which seal is leaking? or do you mean the crank seals?
either way there is no splitting cases required but the clutch etc will need to be removed so make sure you have an impact gun available.

oilinsmoke
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by oilinsmoke » 03 Sep 2015, 21:54

Hi thanks for reply,i believe the clutch side crank seal is suspect due to the gearbox getting presureised,pulls well and doesn't have any rumbles so think the mains are ok,can't think of any thing else that would cause it ;) called in at liesure trail today and picked up a pair so gonna try n get the casing off tomorow,have done them before but a long time ago.
so wish me luck :D hopefully be out over the weekend do some local lanes :D

Speeddevice
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk 2

Post by Speeddevice » 04 Sep 2015, 01:58

If the gearbox is getting pressurised check the breather hose.
I had the same thing on my bike. Because the breather hose was blocked, as the bike warmed up, the air and any moisture would expand and pressurise the gearbox.

oilinsmoke
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by oilinsmoke » 04 Sep 2015, 20:43

Hey,yeah thought about that is there a breather for the engine other than the pipe on top of the casting ?
it's fine if i let it warm up or ride it gently,but when i give it some stick after a fairly short wide throttle opening when i stop it pours gearbox oil onto the floor from the breather on top of the box below the carb :?
should have chance to have a look properly tomoz :D
doesn't really matter that much whatever it needs i'll do didn't pay a lot for it intended doing a resto over christmas when i have some time off,bin trying to get one for ages,had em before n just want to ride it really :D
cheers for the input
G

dillondog
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: rm

Post by dillondog » 05 Sep 2015, 22:08

just an idea but have you overfilled the oil?
I measure mine 650 mls
don't trust the overflow screw on the clutch side as the oil takes time to get to it and you could just be filling the gearbox.
also fill your 2stroke half way up the clear tube then mark the level leave for a day or two then see if it has gone down as some times the seal in the 2stroke pump can leak 2stroke oil into the clutch side of the engine.

maybe worth a look before you start to strip your bike.

cheers.

oilinsmoke
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by oilinsmoke » 06 Sep 2015, 21:58

Hey
now you may be on the rite track there,first port of call was to check the level after running it again today i checked the level and it appears to be higher now than it was yesterday,on removing the level bung the oil that came out appeared to look like 2stroke oil hmmmm it was such a nice day i went out on one of my other bikes i'll strip the pump off tomoz and see what's what but i think you may be bang on there so cheers for that one

oilinsmoke
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by oilinsmoke » 09 Sep 2015, 22:35

sure enough removed the clutch cover got to the oil pump and luckily the gear on the end was preventing the seal from falling off into the housing !!!
quick trip to liesure trail seals in stock oil for the refill water pump gasket snd chsnge form a twenty ;) just have to put it back together.
thanks fro your input

dillondog
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: rm

Post by dillondog » 11 Sep 2015, 23:10

nice cheep and easy fix then.
hopefully that will fix the problem.

good luck.

oilinsmoke
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:

Post by oilinsmoke » 18 Sep 2015, 21:19

Hey of course it developed beyond that when the water pump drive gear fell appart !!! brittle old plastic liesure trail to the rescue once more
so all back in one piece and running sweet as a nut,saturday tomorow pesky work till dinner then off on some local trails with a couple of hte lads (orange riders ) so i'll get to ride in anger see how it goes have to say i have a daft grin again
once again thanks for all your input
regards G

admin
2016NWAA
2016NWAA
Reactions:
Bike Owned: AR

Post by admin » 06 Nov 2015, 21:09

now thats spooky
my water pump gear was also splitting and needed replacement. when LT were asked "no duck never heard of one of them going before" was the reply

jompy
Forum Ghost
Forum Ghost
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK2

Post by jompy » 06 Nov 2015, 21:15

admin wrote:now thats spooky
my water pump gear was also splitting and needed replacement. when LT were asked "no duck never heard of one of them going before" was the reply
You need to talk to Tom ;)