Clutch removal to access kickstart

Dower
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MD24 RM
Clutch removal to access kickstart

Post by Dower » 06 Jun 2016, 21:45

Good evening. Is it possible to remove the clutch assembly complete to gain access to the kickstart mechanism? This is where I'm up to. I was thinking of undoing the 5 bolts on the clutch face. https://i.imgur.com/zvrdeW7.jpg Thank you

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3
Re: Clutch removal to access kickstart

Post by fallenmikethebike » 06 Jun 2016, 22:22

You'll need a holding tool, or a rattle gun to get the clutch hub centre bolt off, DO NOT hold by the raised ally lugs, they WILL snap and lead to a world of grief.
Mike
VFORCE REEDS-MUGEN HEAD AND BARREL-WHITE POWER-ALL ON MY WISH LIST!!

Dower
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Dower » 06 Jun 2016, 22:29

Hi Mike. What are the raised ally lugs? I've looks in the hole at the centre of the clutch and it has a strange kind of cross thread that I've not seen before (I've not done much work on engines).

jim157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by jim157 » 06 Jun 2016, 22:44

Dower wrote:Hi Mike. What are the raised ally lugs? I've looks in the hole at the centre of the clutch and it has a strange kind of cross thread that I've not seen before (I've not done much work on engines).

That's probably the end of the clutch lifter rod (16 in the pic below). As Mike says you need a clutch holding tool or rattle gun to get the clutch assembly off to gain access to the kickstart mechanism.

Have a you got a copy of the service manual?

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 06 Jun 2016, 23:08

Oops! I think I told someone recently that the kick start mechanism can be removed without the clutch basket coming off :oops: :oops:

My memory ................. I don't know how many times I've had the clutch cover off on a CRM :shock:

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 07 Jun 2016, 09:57

knackeredMk1 wrote:Oops! I think I told someone recently that the kick start mechanism can be removed without the clutch basket coming off :oops: :oops:

My memory ................. I don't know how many times I've had the clutch cover off on a CRM :shock:
Yea, that's what I thought, so I got a reply in early :lol: :lol: ;)
Mike

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 07 Jun 2016, 10:05

jim157 wrote:
Dower wrote:Hi Mike. What are the raised ally lugs? I've looks in the hole at the centre of the clutch and it has a strange kind of cross thread that I've not seen before (I've not done much work on engines).

That's probably the end of the clutch lifter rod (16 in the pic below). As Mike says you need a clutch holding tool or rattle gun to get the clutch assembly off to gain access to the kickstart mechanism.

Have a you got a copy of the service manual?
Close, but no cigar. I was more referring to item 7, the clutch hub, which you are confronted with when the assembly is removed. Those raised pillars look an inviting holding point for when a socket is used to undo the centre nut, don't do it, use the proper tool, or a rattle gun of some description.
Mike

Dower
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Dower » 08 Jun 2016, 23:28

Thanks for the replies here. I do have the manual but can't work out how to remove this. Could someone identify the part number from the above diagram for the cross looking thread in the middle of the clutch in this pic please? How would a Earle fun remove this? https://imgur.com/a/AR3FY. Thank you.

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 09 Jun 2016, 08:24

Undo the 5x 8mm headed sprung loaded bolts, some people mark which hole they came from, I'm less diligent.
Then start pulling out the parts as per the drawing, but pay attention to the dis-assembly order.
Look for any wear marks on the clutch hub tangs.
Now you'll need the rattle gun to get the big nut at the centre undone, after bending the retaining washer flat behind it.
PS the cross headed bolt at the centre of the outer housing comes away with the housing.
Mike

jim157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by jim157 » 09 Jun 2016, 10:37

Dower wrote:Thanks for the replies here. I do have the manual but can't work out how to remove this. Could someone identify the part number from the above diagram for the cross looking thread in the middle of the clutch in this pic please? How would a Earle fun remove this? https://imgur.com/a/AR3FY. Thank you.

As Mike said remove the springs first (loosening them gradually in a star shaped pattern) and you will be able to remove the pressure plate and then the clutch plates. You will then have access to the clutch hub nut (you may have to un-stake it with punch before you can remove it), then the basket will slide off.

I've had my clutch on and off about ten times in the past couple of weeks, it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Dower
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Dower » 13 Jun 2016, 22:31

Thank you for the pics Jim. I'm at the nut. Did you remove it by putting the bike in gear and using the brake or did you use the clutch removal tool? Thanks

jim157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by jim157 » 14 Jun 2016, 21:21

I had to use a clutch removal tool to get mine off.

gregorious77
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by gregorious77 » 15 Jun 2016, 11:41

fallenmikethebike
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by fallenmikethebike » 15 Jun 2016, 17:27

^^^^^ Good link, everyone should have one of those in their garage, BUT only for undoing, NEVER doing UP. :roll:
Mike

Dower
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Dower » 27 Jun 2016, 19:24

Hi fellas. So I've assembled everything and tested the clutch operation a few times before I put the clutch cover back on. It feels much tighter than before? Is this because of the lack of fluids? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers